Thursday, February 13, 2014

Pompeii

Tom and I hopped a couple of trains to Naples/Pompeii today. These ruins have long been on my top ten list of places in the world to visit.  They are beautifully excavated and easily accessible by train, and most definitely worth the all day trip from Rome. 

We walked for 6 hours non-stop!  Seriously - no lunch, no cappuccino break, no rest, and we didn't even cover everything (almost though). And, many areas were closed off, probably due to off season work. If all of those were open as well, we would not have made it through the whole site. If you go, try to get there when it opens, you'll need the time. I'd also recommend getting a guidebook. We rented the audio guide, but I would've liked to have a bit more info on some of the locations in the ruins. 

Plaster casts of victims. Surreal to see how they perished. 

Market area with Mount Vesuvius in the background. 

Actual wagon wheel tracks worn into the streets from centuries ago. Amazing. 

Our last day in Rome is tomorrow.  We hope to explore a few off the beaten path places or maybe even hop another train to Tivoli for the day. We will see how late we sleep!

I also hope to do a top ten myths and truths about Rome soon, hopefully tomorrow, provided I leave myself enough time to pack as well!!





No comments:

Post a Comment