Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Low key day.

Well, we were a bit forced into a low key day today for two reasons. 1) Ostia Antica, our chosen archeological site for today is closed all week due to flooding. And 2) I woke up a bit under the weather.  I think I'm battling the bug Tom has had for a few days. So, I slept in and we took a much shorter walk around the city than yesterday. We took in the Spanish Steps and some of Villa Borghese Gardens. It was a bit colder and blustery today. I'm hoping we eventually get to see some Roman sun. 

The Spanish Steps

Our afternoon cappuccino break was topped with quite possibly the best foamed milk I've ever had. 


We also had an absolutely fantastic dinner at Osteria Santa Christina al Quirinale in our 'hood:
http://www.ristorantesantacristinaalquirinale.com.  Their zucchini flower pasta was simply fantastic. By the way, Italians eat so late, I'm pretty sure our dinner time (7:30ish) qualifies as blue hair dinner time over here.  But the upside of this is that we haven't had a problem finding a table yet! 


Tomorrow we see the Vatican museums and the Sistene Chapel in the morning and the catacombs under Rome in the afternoon...a much busier day for sure. Thursday is...drum roll please...POMPEII!!!  We are very excited, it's been on my top ten list for years. Friday is TBD, although we've thrown a day trip to Tivoli into the hat as a possibility. 

Picture from the top of Rome below. Vatican in the distance. 


1 comment: