Monday, February 17, 2014

Home, then not home.

We'll, we made it back Saturday around 9pm. Rome was fabulous. I really do love that city. Such old buildings, history, great art and architecture.  

What I thought would be my favs changed a bit. I have to say Pompeii was probably still my favorite and I expected it to be. No shock there. BUT I think Tom and I would both put the Vatican next on the list, a surprise to both of us. Neither of us are catholic, but the sheer size and number of pieces of art and beautiful buildings is impressive, no matter what your religious affiliation.

Of course, the food was out of this world. Pasta is one of my favorite foods and Rome did not disappoint. I'll post the restaurants we visited in another blog post. We found great ones by asking the locals, no tourist traps for us. The wine was fabulous as well, inexpensive and yummy. And, oh, the gelato - I'll never look at ice cream the same way again. But with all that food, I think we both lost a few pounds. We put miles and mile on our shoes, walking no less than 5 miles a day, sometimes much more. 

What I will miss are the fountains of Rome, and I'm not taliking about the beautiful artistic fountains. I'm talking about the drinking fountains!  They are all over the city, flowing fresh mountain water. They are old, rustic and full of charm (and sometimes graffiti), and the water that ones out of them is fabulous!




And now, a few days at home until my friends arrive and we head to Steamboat Spings for a long weekend of skiing and playing. Come on fresh powder!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment