Friday, May 18, 2012

Noapte buna (good night)...

Well, our last night in Romania. We are back in Bucharest after an all day journey from the Danube delta. Looking back, this trip has been absolutely wonderful. Thank you to our travel mates, Kristen & Todd, cheers to another fantastic trip!

Romania has an emerging tourist industry, so many towns and villages are virtually tourist free. It is easy to get off the beaten path and socialize with the locals. With a few words of broken Romanian on our end and broken English on their end, this country is pretty easily navigated and has a lot to offer in cultural diversity, cuisine (if you like pork) and natural beauty. A few odd thoughts for this closing post from across the pond:

1) This trip has made me value the smoke free environment many cities in the USA have created. Here there is smoking in almost every restaurant, it is accepted from the open doors of trains and is present nearly everywhere you go. I have not smelled this much cigarette smoke in years and years.

2) I love to travel through places where you stick out like a sore thumb, have no idea of the most of the local customs, and can't really speak the language. I find it very refreshing to step out of normal life and shake it up a bit. But this makes me appreciate the value of being comfortable, enjoying effortless communication and sleeping in your own bed each night. Ahhh, the comforts of home! And I miss Lucy :) I'm ready to come home.

3). It is challenging to be a vegetarian here. I am labeling this trip as my weight loss plan. :) I'm a bit worn out on fish and vegetable soup (ciorbe). Their staple food is meat, pork to be exact. I have found a few good veggie foods - their mushrooms are wild picked and fantastic. The polenta is amazing, potatoes quite tasty and their gelato is yummmmmmmy! However, I believe we will be partaking in Thai or Indian food very soon after arriving home.

Ah, Romania, you are an amazing country on the rebound after communism. The people are friendly and helpful, dogs cute, landscape beautiful and culture diverse for a country only the size of Oregon. Thank you for a great 2 weeks!!

Pictures: the very very crowded early AM ferry (standing room only), and waiting for our train in Tulcea.

Happy travels,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment