Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Ciao, Amaro...

Arguably, my favorite find in Rome was Amaro.  A bitters-like liqueur, only a bit sweeter and far more robust. Italians drink it after a meal as a digestif. I love the taste, However, after sampling many while in Rome, I found only one I liked. Unfortunately, this one is made by a local, small, craft distillery and cannot be purchased in the US.  We couldn't even locate a bottle to bring back, we tried MANY liquor stores all over Rome while we were there. 

Enter my friend Cher. Her and her hubby were headed to Rome. Guess what I asked her for and guess what she was able to find!  Amazing. It's just as good as I remember.  Now, how do I schedule our layovers in Rome when we head to that side of the world!?  Yes, I like it that much. 

More info on Amaro can be found here:  http://measureandstir.com/2012/08/17/guide-to-amaro/

I believe the type I have an affinity for is the Montenegro variety - very black, a little sweet, earthy and a tiny bit citrusy...perfect.  It really does smell like bubblegum, but tastes nothing like it.


Anyone headed to Italy please pick me up a bottle, I'll pay for the bottle, shipping and a finders fee!


No comments:

Post a Comment