Friday, July 19, 2013

A Travel Life

Ever think you were meant to do something else as a career?  I think most people have at some point in their lives.  I believe I'd be happy as a travel writer or travel show host.  Don’t get me wrong, I do really enjoy IT and what I do, but to travel and get paid for exploring, now THAT would be perfect.  Of course you’d have to be a very entertaining and fantastic writer (or host) to actually make any sort of decent money at it, but for me, that would be the ideal career.  I think my favorite travel show is GlobeTrekker – ever seen it?  Originally, it was a PBS show and had only one host – Ian Wright – he is very entertaining to watch – funny, dynamic, a very good presenter.  I did see an episode recently that was a “behind the scenes” peek at the show and I was shocked at how much production goes into it - it always looks kind of "thrown together" - and how little sleep they get!

But seriously, I’m happiest when I have a vacation on the horizon – somewhere we’ve never been before, a new place to explore.  In August, we’ll be headed to Kodiak, Alaska to visit our friends Karen and Robin.  Karen quit her job a few years back, joined Americorps and met her now husband Robin – I admire her.  Robin is a GREAT fisherman and the last time we visited (when they were in Gustavus, AK), Tom (with Robin’s help) caught a HUGE halibut – something like 60 lbs (see picture below).   I can’t wait to get back to Alaska and see their new home (and the bears) – we had a blast with them, we are really looking forward to this trip!

In September, we will be headed to Colombia and Panama.  In Colombia, we’ll be visiting Providencia – an island in the Caribbean – it actually sits off the coast of Nicaragua, but is owned by Colombia.  I also cannot wait for this vacation – it’s our typical, out-of-the-way place where we have to take 4 flights to get there, see very few tourists and can get some good hiking, snorkeling and exploring in.  We are stopping in Panama on the way back to spend some time in the capital city, see the canal (always been on my “bucket list”), and explore their old city “Casco Viejo”.  Yay!  So, imagine – TWO vacations coming up soon, I’m so excited.

Anyone with a "travel for a living" job offer can contact me at anytime.

TOM'S BIG FISH


 

No comments:

Post a Comment